Relaxing
With our anniversary this month, we decided to spend the weekend alone to celebrate it. We arranged for Hannah to stay with some friends for 3 nights. Bless that family! They are such great friends.
So where did we go? NO WHERE! We actually stayed home and it was perfect. We didn't have to pay for a hotel, or to dine out, etc. I cleaned the house a few days prior so we could relax in a nice clean and quite home. I didn't even have to cook dinner. I had some spaghetti sauce in the freezer that I just pulled out and warmed up. It was so nice not to have to stress about anything. We got to sleep in, and go to bed whenever we wanted. We had all the comforts of home all to ourselves and ended up saving several hundreds of dollars in the meantime.
We told no one where we were going so that way no one would bother us. We even had to eat our meals in our family room because if we ate them in the dining room some of our friends would have noticed we were home. Hiding out actually made it more fun. (I have a friend who is a fun and playful gal, and if she knew we stayed home she would have come to our door and rang the doorbell just for fun. That's why we wanted to keep this a secret.)
We also went to church all by ourselves to one of the units in our Stake. For lunch that day we went to a friends house on their 100 acre property. It was gorgeous and so nice to enjoy lunch without having to worry about a toddler.
Here's a view of their house (it's the one on the far right).
Their home has this gorgeous view from a creek (though it seems more like a river to me considering it's size).
We got a tour of the land while riding in a "rover." When you have a piece of property that is 100 acres, you need something to rove around on. Walking would take too long.
Here is the "home teaching" tree. That's what they like to call it. It's a tree stump, but there is another tree starting to grow out of the stump. How awesome is that?!
The weather that day was perfect! It was in the low-mid 70s. But when we were out and about on the rover, we noticed some temperature gauges were a little off. This is one of the thermometers. The sun was directly hitting the gauge, and with the dark background absorbing all the warmth, it said the temperature was just under 110 degrees (when in actuality it was about 70 degrees).
Notice on the lower right of that photo there is a note that says "Thermometer #2 in a quarter mile" with an arrow? If you head in the direction of the arrow you enter this beautiful alley/tunnel of trees.
Upon entering the "knox" (that's what the owners like to call it) you can feel the temperature drop by 10 degrees. After a little while you find the second thermometer and this is what it read:
Our last day of our stay-cation, Nathan and I ended up buying a daybed that was sold near by.
Structurally, the daybed is solid and of great quality, but it needed a face-lift. So, I've been sanding, filling, sanding again, priming, painting, and more sanding to this bed. For a while when you walked into the house all you could smell was spray paint. I was hoping to have it done by the end of September, but I ran out of money for spray paint so I couldn't finish it. I figured it was more important to eat so we spent the last of our money on food. I'm hoping to have the bed done here in a few weeks.
Preschool
Other big events that happened this month was in relation to Hannah. She started her co-op preschool again this year. The group decided to buy little folders for the kids to put their work in each week. I thought it would be fun for Hannah to decorate her folder with stickers. I remember doing that as a kid just as the school year was starting. She loved it and was so excited for her co-op to start again.
Hannah also started a "real" preschool with a legit teacher and classroom. Now this is something she has been waiting for, as have I! She was so excited her first day of school that every 10 minutes she kept asking me "when am I going to pre-school?" So far, it has been a wonderful blessing for all of us.
Busy with church
Due to some growth out here in the church, they decided to split the units, and they created a new ward. It has been a great, and very needed change. Our unit had out grown the building (we didn't have enough classrooms for people to meet in). As wonderful as this change is, it is also a lot of work. In fact, that is an understatement. I've been so busy these last few weeks with cleaning up records, visiting "new" ward members, and helping the ward get started from scratch. Our new ward, geographically, is the blue section. Yes -- it's pretty big! Before the split, our unit was the majority of the blue, and pretty much the red section.
Well. That's pretty much our September. It has been spent with pre-school, traveling around and about, working on a daybed, and just trying to keep up with the pace of life.

No comments:
Post a Comment