Friday, September 30, 2016

Simplified in September

September was not as busy as July or August (thank heavens).  It was more simplified.

Books

I set a goal to read 8 books this year, and I keep forgetting to post about them.  So, I'm playing catch up now.

I read Boundaries in Marriage, which was a very insightful book.  I'm all about learning how to make the most of my marriage, so I picked the book up and learned the importance of setting and maintaining personal boundaries, and respecting those of my spouse.





I also read Boundaries for Leaders.  I loved this book! Probably one of my favorite reads for the year.  I may not be the CEO of a company, but I wanted to read this book to help me become a better, and healthy leader in my church callings.







After reading the boundary books, I went on to read a book called START.  This one is definitely a keeper, especially if you want to try something new in your life (i.e., in regards to work).  There are only two paths in life: average and awesome.  But one of the things that can hold people back from going towards the road of awesomeness is fear, so you have to learn how to punch it in the face.






And the book that I just finished reading this month is another fantastic read: Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters.  It talks about how important it is for father's to be involved in their daughters life in the world we live in today.  I already knew the importance of daughters having relationships with their fathers, but this was extremely eye opening as Dr. Meeker used many of her experiences as a pediatrician for the last 20+ years in her book to illustrate the need for fathers.  Honestly, every father should read this book!






Alabama Football

I have never seen such die hard, or intense football fans in my life.  When it comes to the Crimson Tide fans, you better look out.

These are a few of the "school spirit" displays I've seen around town:

I am amazed at some of the clothing items that are for sale around here.

These are mens, MENS pants.  I think they were priced at $80+ or so.  I have not seen anyone wearing these pants, yet.  Maybe when the weather cools down some I will.

And the logo was on the pants too!

This onesie was so adorable, but it was $30!  I thought "$30 for something the baby will only wear for a few months -- WOW!"

Nathan and Hannah had a daddy-daughter-date this month, and got to go to a football game at Bryant-Denny Stadium.  Hannah had such a great time and loved it.  She will often talk about "the game," "the red team that's winning," etc.

Nathan said that every time Alabama got a first down you'd hear the entire stadium say "ROLL TIDE!"


ABC fashion show

All the Kindergarten classes at Hannah's school had an ABC fashion show.

They gave each child a brown paper bag, and they had to decorate it with the letter  assigned. Hannah had the letter G, so she helped color lots of things that start with that letter.

I had to take a picture with Hannah's "boyfriend."  She came home one day and said that her "boyfriend's" name is Steven.  "He's a boy mommy, and he's my friend, so he's my boyfriend" were the exact words she used.  She and this little boy like to play at school, and they get along really well together.


Lunch duty

I went to help out at Hannah's school the other day during lunch.  She was so excited to have mommy there, and she introduced me to all her classmates.


Sprained ankle

At the beginning of the month Nathan sprained his ankle pretty bad.  So he walked around with a huge boot on his foot for a few weeks.

Hannah wanted to wear an ankle brace like her daddy, so she often walked around with this smaller brace (see her right foot).


Date night

We went to a restaurant right on the river (this picture I got from the www.cypressinnrestaurant.com).

It had been a few months since we have been on a date so it was nice to spend time together.

After dinner, we walked around campus and looked at some of the historic buildings.  The President's Mansion is still my favorite building.


Church callings

We both got some church callings this month.  Nathan's in the Sunday School presidency, and I was called to the Young Women's presidency.

I went straight to work, and got the Young Women's closet organized.  I'm such a nerd, and I love organizing things.

I also got to go with the youth for a temple trip (which is only an hour away -- yay!).  I love going to the temple.  It's so nice to just leave the world behind for a few hours and focus on other things.

After the temple, we went to Chick-Fil-A for a bite to eat. As we were walking in, I noticed there was a band playing in there.  This is something I have never seen before!


Bye-bye house

It's official -- we sold our house!  Our last root in Pennsylvania was pulled up this month.  We loved that house, so there was a little sadness in selling it.  But most of all, it's nice to know we no longer have a property in the north while we are in the south.

Miscellaneous

Hannah discovered the game Operation this month.  It was at Nathan's work, and when we were waiting for him to finish up with an meeting we played the game.  She loved it!

Every week when we go to church we see this sign and it makes me laugh each week.

Well, that's what happened in our household for the month of September.  Now onto October.

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters image courtesy of google.com
Start. image courtesy of google.com
Boundaries for Leaders image courtesy of google.com
Boundaries in Marriage image courtesy of google.com

3 comments:

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Arkansas folks are really into football too. Most of them are U of Arkansas Razorback fans, and you see red Razorback merchandise everywhere.

What a blessing to have a temple so close. Ours is three hours away in another state. I'm bracing myself for a long drive this weekend, and reminding myself that for decades most of the world had to travel for days to reach a temple.

wendy said...

You are so good at reading books that actually, like, help you to improve. No wonder you're so awesome. I feel like I should maybe try reading a book like that. Ha! I can only imagine how crazy the fans are down there. Way to go Chick Fil A and high five for selling your house! Bittersweet.

Camber said...

Good heavens, I didn't even know you guys moved! I am behind on reading blogs! So I had to go back and catch up on yours. Movers are the best. I mean, really the best. It looks so beautiful where you are now. And of course you got called to young women's! Congrats on selling your house.