Wednesday, March 21, 2012

D-Day

Today was Nathan's "D-Day" (aka Defense Day)!

That's right. Nathan defended his dissertation and he is now officially a Doctor of Philosophy!

Here are some pictures that I took today.  (FYI, something weird happened with our memory stick in our camera and it wouldn't let me take any new pictures.  So, I had to take them with my phone, which is why some are slightly blurry.  Bummer...I know!)

This is the room where Nathan had his defense.

My favorite part of this room is the "window picture."  I thought it was funny and clever.  It could be 30 degrees below zero outside, and yet it can still look like this.

When a member of Nathan's committee walked in the room and saw the food that we brought they said "WOW!  This is impressive!"  I guess some PhD candidates are not as creative with bringing refreshments.  While Nathan defended, we all ate yummy grapes, delicious poppy seed muffins (that were homemade and were to die for!), bagels with cream cheese, and some tasty juice.

I knew I couldn't take any pictures of Nathan during his defense, so while I was in the room all by myself before it started I snapped a picture of his first slide.  I thought it was clever (the IT is supposed to stand for Instructional Technology, which is what Nathan's study population was).

This is a picture of Nathan and his committee.  I was SO IMPRESSED with this group.  They all came prepared for this defense and read the entire dissertation (which was about 200 pages long).  They were very helpful, and were all dazzled by Nathan's writing and presentation.

I have been more excited about this than Nathan has, as you can tell by this picture.  I feel like the only thing I have wanted to do all day is jump up and click my heels!

 After the defense we went and picked up Hannah.  I need to give a HUGE thank you to our awesome home teacher Lael for watching Hannah while Nathan defended.  Lael was kind enough to take a few pictures of Hannah and her silly-faced friend Sage.

After we came home and unloaded, I went on a walk with Hannah because the weather was perfect!  Later, I headed off to a doctors appointment (don't worry--it was just a regular check up) and when I got home we ordered pizza and watched some Home Improvement, courtesy of Netfilx.  And after dinner Nathan put Hannah to bed while I headed off to my sewing class.

That, Ladies and Gentleman, were the events of our D-Day!  Congratulations Nathan!  I'm so proud of you.

15 comments:

Marci Wittwer Butterfield said...

yay!! Congrats to Dr. Nathan. Such an amazing accomplishment.

Rachel said...

I can feel your excitement!!! YAY!!!!!! So, does this mean it's time to get a real job? lol!

Camber said...

Yaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!

Christine said...

That is so awesome! I am so happy for you guys. What a great accomplishment! Now you guys should move to Arizona!

HSBahr said...

Congrats! How nice that it's over! Looks like it was a success! Now I just hope that job offer comes too!

The Sheffield's said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting for all of you. What does the future hold for the Culmer's?

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!

Time to start looking for jobs in California . . .

Phillip said...

Congrats! What's next?

Amy said...

What an accomplishment! Congratulations to the both of you!

Jill Walker said...

Hooray for all of you. What great news, I am so happy for you.

Rachel Culmer said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is a very special event which you shared so very well. I am so proud of both of you. The pictures are great. It looks like Nathan's colleagues are very supportive. I know that Nathan is glad it's over, so now it's on to bigger and better things for the three of you. Love Dad Culmer

Rachel Culmer said...

Katherine Sorenson: "Yay! Grats Nathan and Rachel!!"

Eric Sorenson: "Congratulations, way to FINISH. Rachel and Nathan, your life will be dramatically different moving forward. Again, nice work."

Grandma and Grandpa Sorenson: "Thanks for sending the e-mail and congratulations to both of you. That is a real accomplishment. It is another page turned in your life of progressing to other important things. Again......we are proud of you and love you very much. (We appreciated the pictures.) Hannah has grown up a lot!"

Dad: "So----the real reason he passed was because you brought some refreshments!!!!!!!!"

Mom: "Congratulations, Nathan & Rachel! How impressive that Nathan is now finished with his PhD &&&&& also ready to graduate! We are so proud of you, Nathan!"

Sarah said...

Wooo hoo! Way to go, Culmers!

Mallory Stoker said...

Congrats! That is so awesome!

Katie said...

AWESOME!!! Congratulations to the both of you.