Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sewing projects and Father's Day

Happy Father's Day!

There are two parts to this post: Sewing projects and Father's Day.  I won't waste anymore time so I'll just get right to the point.

Part I: Sewing projects

I decided to make this empire waste maxi dress because I only have ONE dress in my closet! I thought I would branch out a bit and make a maxi dress since they are "in" right now. I went to go choose my fabric several weeks ago out at a local sewing store I ran into one of my friends, Angela, and she helped me pick out a fabric (see bottom portion of the dress).  Thanks Angela for your advice.  I have received many compliments on it already.

I pretty much did the dress all by myself, but if it weren't for my sewing class instructors I would have no idea how to make bias tape (they have a handy little tool there that is life changing).  I must say that when I wore it to church today I couldn't help but feeling proud of myself (is that a bad thing).

Check it out:

My other little project I did yesterday.  I took about 1.5 hours and made this little purse for Hannah.

She has been playing with a little plastic tote bag that she got from Subway (thanks Mom), but that tote bag has taken a beating the past few days and needs to be retired.  Nathan actually was the one who came up with the idea to make her a little purse.  So I went into our room, grabbed my little collection of leftover fabric pieces and stitched away.  When I finished the bag I gave it to Hannah and she was THRILLED!  Yes, we have a total girl emerging in front of our eyes.

Part II: Father's Day

Today we went to church, and after sacrament meeting the Relief Society presidency handed out M&Ms to the guys in the ward.  Unfortunately, Nathan does not like chocolate and so I got to eat them (yeah for me)!

For Father's Day, I bought Nathan these shoes because his current pair of brown shoes are not in good shape.  Unfortunately, we have to take them back because he needs some clothes for work more than he needs shoes.  Darn it!  Oh well, can't blame a wife for trying.

 And here is the main father himself getting ready to eat lunch.  He is such a goof!

The rest of our day was spent playing with Hannah, talking to our fathers on the phone, taking treats to a few friends, eating dinner, and going on a walk.  It was a nice and relaxing day for us, which is what we really needed with all of the chaos of our upcoming move.

3 comments:

Tawnya said...

So cute! Love it Rachel!!

nathan n rachel said...

Fun post, Honey. Thanks for sharing.

Camber said...

LOVE the apron, Nathan! Also, Rachel, I'm seriously so impressed by your dress. And I think you're a real natural at posing for the camera.