Sunday, September 9, 2012

Mount Nittany

One of the first things that Nathan wanted to do when we moved here was to "hike" Mount Nittany.  Mount Nittany is a decent sized mountain for Pennsylvania, though to those who are from the west, which we are, it is more like a large hill (hence the reason I put hike in quotation marks).

So yesterday I had one of my fabulous visiting teachers babysitt Hannah for the morning (thanks Pamela!) while Nathan and I went and climbed Mount Nittany as it only takes a couple of hours. For the first 700 feet or so it's a little strenuous because your climbing up a steep incline.  Once it plateaus then it's more like a leisurely walk.

Mount Nittany has 7 overlook points where you can view the valley of the State College area, but we only had time for 2.  The first overlook we went to is called the Mike Lynch overlook.  At 1,940 feet you can see the entire campus of Penn State, and the mammoth Beaver Stadium (where the Nittany Lions play football).

The second outlook shows a view of the northwest, and it is also the summit of Mount Nittany at a whopping 2,040 feet.

Did you  noticed in the pictures that it was really overcast?  Yep...Nathan and I got caught in the rain just after we summitted.  By the time we made it back to the car we were soaked.  It was kind of fun though hiking in the rain.  And no Mom we are not going to catch pnumeonia or anything.  The weather was slightly muggy and not cold so don't worry.

When we got home we took off our shoes and socks so that we wouldn't track mud all over my clean floors.  Hannah saw the shoes and couldn't help herself (she's really into shoes right now). She stepped right in my red Eccos, put on my sunglasses, and she thought she was so cool.  By the way, the reason why I am a little blurry in this photo is because I was loosing my balance.  I had to post it though because Hannah looks too cute.

Those were our adventures of Mount Nittany.

Mt. Nittany picture courtesy of 3dnworld.com

3 comments:

Tawnya said...

What a beautiful "hike"!! Miss you guys!

Rachel Culmer said...

Pamela B. said: "It was fun to read. I'm glad you made it up the mountain before the rain came."

wendy said...

Fun! You guys look great even soaking wet. :) Love the picture of Hannah.