Thursday, March 21, 2013

Reasons for my blogging delay

February and March have been busy and stressful months, which made it hard to blog.  Here are my two legitimate reasons for my blogging delays:

Reason #1 -- Hannah

It seems as if Hannah has been getting sick every other week.  As many of you know, a sick child is typically more needy and clingy.  I will say though that she has been a real trooper these last 6 weeks with her stomach flu episode, head colds, and a case of hand, foot, and mouth.

In this last month she has managed to destroy 2 books (including her favorite book...grr), and she has discovered the show My Little Pony.  I've also been able to do a little more experimentation with Hannah's hair dos.  It's getting long enough now for me to tie it back in fun ways.

Reason #2 -- Young Women (YW)

I am currently serving in the YW presidency for our church and it pretty much takes up all of your spare time, especially with the new youth curriculum, Come Follow Me.  I have activities each Wednesday night, I teach the lesson at least once a month (sometimes twice), and for the month of March I had to head up 3 BIG activities (post coming soon), all of which were back to back to back.  March Madness had a different meaning for me this month, and I will be so happy when this month is over with.

We have about 15 girls in our ward -- and they are so much fun!  If I end up driving for an activity they always want to come and ride with me, which I have to admit is heart warming. Apparently I have good music, but I think the main reason is because they like to watch DVDs in my van (sometimes our activities are about an hour away so a movie helps break up the drive). One evening the girls decided to see how many YW could get into my van as they watched Finding Nemo (no worries...we were in a parking lot and the car was not running).  We ended up fitting 12 people in my van, though you can only see 8 in this picture.

As exhausting as this church calling can be, it is one of the most rewarding.  It's kind of like parenthood in a way.  These girls are now some of my greatest friends and I learn from their examples weekly.

3 comments:

Being Breta said...

You will be a great blessing to these young women, Rachel! They will always remember you & the fun time spent with you. Hang in there...all callings end one day...then on to the next!

Camber said...

Man, that sounds rough! I hope Hannah has a healthy spell for awhile now. Isaac is in young mens and you're right about how busy it is! Luckily we don't have activities an hour away (except campouts)! But I bet you're awesome at it, and that you'll have a huge influence on those girls lives.

Rachel Culmer said...

LaMar said:

"Hope Hannah is feeling better soon. She sure is a cute little girl. Sounds like you have little spare time, but it's all for a really good cause. Keep up the good work and keep yourselves healthy and happy. Love poPPer""