Sunday, January 10, 2010

How to survive a winter in the Midwest

It is no big secret that Iowa has FRIGID winters (as many of you know from some previous blog posts). So, how do you survive a winter in the Midwest?

#1 Stay indoors! There is no wind chill if you're inside.

#2 Invest in some space heaters!!! This is a must! Yes we have our thermostat set at a specific temperature, but some rooms of the house never actually reach that temperature. For example: our bedroom has 2 outside walls which means that it is always cold. It's great in the summer, but during the winter... BURR!
One day I came home from work went and into our room to change. When I opened our door I noticed a significant temperature drop. So I plugged in the space heater and the temperature gauge on the heater said 60 degrees!!! YIKES! I even have a picture to prove it!
And even Kronk loves the space heaters. Check it out:
My favorite picture is the one with his butt up against the space heater! Kronk has a knack for finding the warmest spot. He is such a cat!

#3 We turn on heating pads to warm up our bed. Don't worry...they have an automatic shut off. Nathan used to laugh at me when I first started doing this, but then he started to mooch off me when he would hop into bed. After a while I went and bought him one so that his side of the bed could be warm too (which is why I get the wife of the year award)!
Some of you may ask "Why don't you invest in some fleece/flannel sheets?"
The answer: Nathan HATES them! That is why we used heating pads.

#4 Invest in the window insulation kits! They are the best and they really do help keep the cold air out (if done properly).
#5 Hang in there because spring is on it's way! Spring in Iowa is so beautiful and if you keep that in mind then you'll make it through. After all, I am on my 4th winter. If a southern California girl can do it, then anyone can do it!

5 comments:

Being Breta said...

BRRRRRR!!! I am so glad I live in Sunny Southern California!

Rachel said...

it is cold...we are cold here for sure! You can cuddle with your boyfriend here anytime you want. he's a hot bodied little boy.

Paul & Ashley Justensen Family said...

I miss Iowa a lot right now but I must admit that when I heard of all the storms that hit, I decided to sit back and enjoy the 30 degree Delaware weather. Good luck! Spring is just around the corner.

Tawnya said...

Very good tips!!!!! Love the heating pad in the bed idea! I want it! Also, love Kronk next to the heater! That is so funny!

Tristan said...

I never thought of using a heating pad to warm up the bed, great idea!
hey it's in the 30's!! Heat wave! :)