Monday, February 15, 2010

Our Valentine's Day

We are a couple that typically does not make a big deal out of Valentine's Day. In the past we have decided that instead of going out to dinner with everyone else in the world, we would just go places and spend time together for the entire day (i.e., a zoo, Disneyland, etc.).

Well this year was different for many reasons:

1. Nathan had just finished his BRUTAL comprehensive exams (aka comps).
2. I had just arrived back from California in the late afternoon on the 13th and we didn't really plan anything (I'll post about California later).
3. Valentine's Day was on a Sunday and we wanted to honor the Sabbath Day by not going out to dinner.
4. It's Iowa--there are no zoos or Disneyland's in Iowa!

This year however, I really wanted show my appreciation and do something for Nathan because he has worked SO HARD for his comps. At first I was just going to make his favorite cookies, but then I took it a little farther and managed to whip up a dinner and surprise him with it. I say surprise because Nathan was napping the entire time I made the cookies and dinner! I couldn't believe it.

This picture of Nathan coming out of our bedroom is not posed! I love it. This was his real facial expression when he realized what was going on. He cracks me up!

We had gnocchi with creamy pesto sauce, asparagus, garlic bread, salad, and raspberry shortbread thumbprint cookies. Granted, it was not an extravagant meal...but it's the thought that counts right?
And the best part about the dinner--we ate it in our sweats! How classy is that?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great valentines to me!

Unknown said...

I love it!

Amy said...

Looks delicious! I would love to get the recipe for the cookies.

Tawnya said...

Wow, I think it does look Gourmet!! It looks so great!

Bonnie said...

That will be one Valentine's Day that he will never forget!

Chelsea said...

Okay, my comment on this post was going to be "You are FANCY!" until I read the part about the sweats. Hmm, you are KIND OF fancy. :)

Kristi said...

I love the surprised expression on Nathan's face. Classic look with a very classy presentation with the food. Impressive.

Heidi Miller said...

You are such a good wifey. Your dinner made my mouth water . . .still watering. I LOVE gnocchi!! They made it a lot for us in Brasil and I actually learned how to make it myself . . . though I haven't tried to in years and years. Again I say . . you are a very good wifey.