Monday, July 23, 2012

One goal accomplished

Today I finished one of my 2012 goals: I have read all 7 of Jane Austen's novels.

R Sense and Sensibility
R Pride and Prejudice
R Mansfield Park
R Emma
R Northanger Abbey
R Persuasion
R Lady Susan

For Christmas last year I asked for the collection of Jane Austen's novels (thanks Mom).  I have read a few of her books and I loved them, so I figured I would probably enjoy reading her other novels as well, which is why I asked for the book.  Some were more enjoyable than others, but it was a fun project to undertake and now it's completed.  Yeah!

(Camber...this next part is mainly for you because I know that you did this last summer, and I know you are interested in knowing my "ranking" of Austen's novels).

Here are my favorites:
  1. Pride and Prejudice--nothing beats this novel.  N.O.T.H.I.N.G!  Mr. Darcy is the best!  No questions asked...number one.
  2. Sense and Sensibility--loved it. Colonel Brandon is the bomb.
  3. Emma--okay, Emma is snobbish but she sees the error of her ways and changes in the end. Besides, she marries Mr. Knightley who I just want to "wrap up in my pocket" (if you have read this book you'll get that phrase in the quotation marks).
  4. Persuasion--this is a short, quick easy read with a happy ending.  Captain Wentworth is great, but he is no Mr. Darcy.
  5. Northanger Abbey--this book was okay.  It was kind of weird, but it was so easy to read because it was short.
  6. Lady Susan--such a different writing style than the other 6 novels, and super short!  Only 43 pages long.  Okay novel.
  7. Mansfield Park--I did not like this book.  It took a LONG time to get interesting which made it kind of drag.  I don't think I'll ever read this one again.  Once is good enough for me.

5 comments:

Jill Walker said...

WOW! So much has happened to you in such a short time. I love your cute house, and the view from the back looks amazing! The picture of the nurse cracked me up! I am glad you are all safe and sound from your moving adventure. Love to all!

Camber said...

Rachel! I do not know how, but somehow I missed your last 3 posts, so let me quickly say your house is HUGE and I love the hardwood floors and the storage space in your kitchen and all the natural light and I also love the picture of your nurse at the ER. I have never seen a nurse actually wear a hat and that is awesome.

Second, I'm so happy you finished all the Jane Austen books! For the most part, I agree with your list--pride and prejudice is definitely her best book for SO many reasons (Mr. Darcy, of course, among them) and I absolutely put Sense and Sensibility second. I just love what vivid characters she writes. Northanger Abbey was kind of weird but if I was more familiar with gothic novels I think I would have liked it more, since it's meant to be a parody of them. I didn't hate Mansfield Park but I don't think I'd read it again either--you just don't fall in love with any characters. Even Fanny is kind of self-righteous and probably really boring to talk to. Anyway, it totally makes me happy that you read them all!

HSBahr said...

Way to go! I am proud of you. I'm a huge Jane Austen fan too. I pretty much agree with your ranking. Hope life is treating you well.

Being Breta said...

Way to go, Rachel! With all you've had on your plate since Christmas, it is an amazing feat you have accomplished! Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors, but I have never read all of her novels. Congrats!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I love P&P and S&S (and their film incarnations with Colin Firth and Emma Thompson, respectively), but I didn't care much for Mansfield Park (or the film, either). Persuasion was OK, but I don't think I'd read it again.