I was watching our neighbors kids for the day (it was their spring break and both of their parents were working). With 3 kids all by myself and being cooped up in this house for the last few months, I really wanted to do something and get out of the house, but I didn't want to do it alone. So, Nathan took off Wednesday March 27th and came with us on our little excursion (he worked on a Saturday in March so to compensate Penn State told Nathan to take off another day instead).
Around 8:30 am the neighbor kids came over, and we all loaded up in the van and drove to Harrisburg (1.5 hours away). It was an easy, pleasant drive. We followed the Susquehannah River pretty much the entire time. That is one really big river!
Unfortunately, the weather was very chilly so we did not take any pictures of us outside the Capital (I managed to snap the photo above just was I was getting in the car). We did take a few pictures inside though.
Picture of the Rotunda
When we arrived, there was a middle school choir that sang in the Rotunda. They sang several songs, but my favorite was the Star Spangled Banner (it was their opening number).
Harrison knows one of the Senators so we went to go see his office. The Senator's son attends Harrison's elementary school. Hannah also enjoyed visiting the Senator's office.
Here is a picture of the House of Representatives room.
One of the chandeliers in the House of Representatives room. In order to change the light bulbs, workers have to build scaffolding around the chandelier, and then one person crawls inside of it and changes all of the light bulbs. In this room alone there are over 1100 light bulbs, and they get changed once every two years. Crazy.
The less crowded Senate chamber.
The Judicial wing of the Capital.
I thought this was pretty neat.
And here is a picture of a high school choir singing in the Rotunda. They were PHENOMENAL!
And here we are on our way home. Claire and Harrison watched a movie while Hannah took a little nap.
2 comments:
Loved the constructive use of time during the kids spring break! I am sure you all enjoyed your excursion to Harrisburg.
That is a beautiful and amazing building. Your Hannah is getting so big and cuter by the day!
Post a Comment