Sunday, December 22, 2013

2013 goals -- completed

My 2013 goals we similar, yet different for this year.

Goal #1 -- Youth curriculum

I decided to read the new youth curriculum, "Come, Follow Me."

This was a MAJOR task.  It included probably about 200 conference talks, 700+ scriptures, and about 70 outlines to read.  This was not easy, but it was so worth it.  Not only was I really prepared for my Sunday lessons with the young women, but I was able to use it for a Personal Progress value experience, and my testimony of the gospel principles has definitely grown too.


I printed off all the materials and kept them in a notebook to use as a resource throughout the year (which I heavily used).  But now that the curriculum is starting over again for 2014, I can go back to my notes and use them again, while also updating my notes with new recent material.

Goal #2 -- Index 500 names

Our stake made a goal for the youth and the youth leaders to index 500 names from January to June. I couldn't expect the youth to index names if I wasn't willing to do it myself, so I learned how to index and I completed my 500 names mid year.  Surprisingly, it was pretty easy and kind of fun.  This is one form of family history work that is easily doable for me.

Goal #3 -- Read the New Era

When I received my call to work in the Young Women organization late last year, I called Salt Lake and subscribed to the New Era (a church magazine geared more towards the youth).  I decided that I should probably start reading it if I'm serving with the youth. Again, I can't expect the youth to do something if I myself am not willing to do it.

I LOVED the New Era, and I found it very useful for my Sunday lessons, for our class presidency meetings, and for some of the youth who are going through some really difficult times.  This is an excellent resource for any parent, leader, or youth out there!

Goal #4 -- Learn how to "up-cycle" furniture

I refinished a toy chest that was given to us, I re-stained a piano (that was not easy), and I refinished a shelf to put on a wall.  I'm hoping to do more this next year so I can add items to our house to decorate it more.  I think the next item on my list for that will be a dresser (for Hannah's room or our bedroom).




Goal #5 -- Read the Lorenzo Snow manual

Serving in the Young Women means that you don't get to attend Relief Society, and I figured reading this manual would be one way that I could stay "connected" to the women in our ward.  Plus, Nathan was studying this manual in his quorum and I wanted to be able to contribute to potential conversations about the Lorenzo Snow manual.  Also, my mom teaches Relief Society back in her ward so it was nice to sometimes chat with her on certain topics, her visual aids that she was planning on, the handouts that she was doing, her lesson plans, etc.

This was actually a really easy task seeing that I only needed to read 2 chapters a month.  Not a big undertaking and easily doable.



Goal #6 -- Read the Ensign, again

This isn't a new goal.  I've been reading the Ensigns for 4 years and I think it's one that I will always do every year. It's just too good not to.

3 comments:

Marci Wittwer Butterfield said...

You are an inspiration! Great goals and great job for completing them all. Looks like life is going wonderful for you guys. Merry Christmas!

Tawnya said...

Way to set awesome goals and reach them!!

Rachel Culmer said...

Suzette said:

"Rachel,
You are a wonderful example of a woman who knows. Thanks so much for the tips, help and advice. I have made a goal for myself to study, ponder, learn and know for myself the inspired work of "Come Follow Me".