Monday, January 13, 2014

Oddities

I downloaded some of my pictures today and wanted to post a few of them for journaling purposes, but they are all kind of random so I'm putting them all together in an oddity post.

Oddity #1

Hannah never -- not once -- crawled out of her crib (yes, we are counting are blessings on that one). Throughout the 2013 year we thought Hannah would figure out how to climb out of her crib, and thought that when she did do it, we would simply transform her crib to the bed.  That never happened though, and she was starting to get too big for her crib.  So, on December 23, 2013, we transformed Hannah's crib to be a big girl bed.

It's been three weeks now and Hannah has yet to leave her room during bed time, or nap time for that matter.  I know she has gotten out of her bed during nap time to play with toys because I can hear her (and also because the toys are in different spots when I go back into her room), but she has never left her room during any sleep time.  I don't think she's figured out that she can yet, for which we are grateful!

That being said, Hannah LOVES the big girl bed.

Oddity #2

Over the holidays Nathan was able to have 2 weeks off of work.  That's one of the perks of working for a university -- it shuts down and gives pretty much all their employees 2 weeks paid vacation.  So, we had lots of time to spend together as a family.  We slept in some, read books, and played with Hannah lots.

Oddity #3

One of our home teachers loves to give Hannah gifts for whatever holiday is in season, and for Christmas he gave Hannah a book.  She loves "Brother Bill" and was very grateful for the book. When she unwrapped it, Hannah took it over to Bill and he read her the book.  It was so sweet. We have been so blessed to have great home teachers these last 6+ months.

Oddity #4

Last week we had some very cold weather come our way.  This is not the norm for Pennsylvania, but it didn't phase Nathan and I too much because we experienced it A LOT living in Iowa for 6 years. Nathan's boss once asked him "Have you ever been in colder weather than this?"  He chuckled and said "Yes Chris!  I've lived in Iowa for 6 years, and I lived in the Netherlands for 2 years.  It does get colder than this."

I took screenshots throughout the day on January 7th.  The first one was the temperature around 7:00 am, the second photo is around 11:00 am, and the third photo is around 6:00 pm that night.  Brr.

I'm not going to lie, it was very cold, even if we were more used to it than the other Pennsylvanians.  A few days after the cold front came it warmed up to 20 degrees for the high temperature.  I was talking to my dad and he said "It's cold back there!"  My reply even astonished me: "Yes it is cold.  But it's warmed up these last few days -- we're in the 20s now!" I think the California girl has changed.

No comments: