Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Maniacal March

March was pretty crazy this year.  Here's how it went down.


Ice storm

March started out really rough: we got an ice-storm.  Sigh.

I've been through worse ice-storms living in Iowa, but this one was still bad.  Penn State even cancelled everything, which NEVER happens!

We went to go shovel our driveway and it was a solid sheet of ice.  Honestly, we could have ice-skated on the driveway.  I had to scrape the ice while Nathan shoveled off the driveway.  It was definitely a two person job.  Hannah I think was the only one that enjoyed the ice.



Snow Day

Mid-month we got some more weather (will it ever stop?).  It snowed about 3 inches one day, and thankfully it melted the next.  The neighborhood kids had fun trying to make a snowman.



Church callings

This is our 3rd March is PA, and each time it has proven to be extremely busy with callings. We have a very large Stake geographically.  It's about the size of New Jersey -- not kidding.

Well this March it was Nathan's church calling that had him going everywhere (quite literally). He went to Altoona (4 times), Brookville, and Johnstown -- a total of 753 miles in one month.  WOW!

In fact, of the 5 Sundays this month he was gone doing high council stuff 4 weeks in a row. Unfortunately, on the last Sunday when we could have gone to church together, Hannah was sick so Nathan stayed home with her.  I have a new found respect for Bishops and Stake Presidents.



Parties

Hannah got to go with me to a Relief Society activity because Nathan had a separate church meeting that night.  She was quite happy to go get toys from the nursery and play with them. But then she found her buddy (a girl I visit teach), and Hannah sat next to Coop the rest of the night.

Hannah had several St. Patrick's Day parties with her co-op school, and her pre-school.  A leprechaun came during one of the parties and left some treats.  She loves her parties!


Eating Vegetables

The last few months Hannah has started to branch out to new foods.  But she has always been very obstinate about vegetables.  So I made a deal with her: if she ate some vegetables then she could have chips.  That sealed the deal.  This kiddo will do anything for chips (especially "green" chips).

She will now eat green beans, corn, carrots, peas, red bell peppers, and even yogurt now.  And we're talking large portions too.  Wahoo.  We are making progress.



Haircut

I finally got Hannah's haircut.  It was starting to look scraggly and uneven so I took her in.  This was her first haircut ever! (Remember, she was bald for about 2 years).  She loved getting her haircut.

After Hannah's haircut, I showed her the trimmings on the floor.  She looked at it and said "that's my hair?!"  I replied yes, and then she said "we put it back on?"  Cute.



Fun stuff

Hannah finally finished her Valentine candy early in the month.  One of her Valentine's were some marshmallows and toothpicks, and she constructed Olaf.  This was her interpretation of what the snowman should look like.

Hannah dresses herself about 90% of the time now.  Most of the days I don't really care what she wears.  But on other days I have her change clothes if she will be going out in public.  This was one crazy outfits she put on.


Nathan had a $5 gift card to Barnes and Noble, so we gave it to Hannah.  We made a trip to the store and she played with some Lego's before making her big purchase.

Hannah got to choose how she wanted to spend the $5.  Her decision: a princess coloring book with stickers.

Sometimes at night while she is asleep, I will take her coloring book and color a page or two. She likes those pages a lot and will ask me to find them for her.  It's really cute.

Speaking of princesses, she likes to dance to the frozen song "Let it Go."  She likes to mimic Queen Elsa.

And on the last Saturday in March, we did a lot of chores around the house.  Nathan and Hannah tightened loose screws, while I did a very thorough deep cleaning of the bathrooms.

2 comments:

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

Anna has only seen Frozen once or twice, but she share's Hannah's love for the song Let It Go. Anna only knows one verse, and gets some of the lyrics wrong, but she isn't shy about belting it out in stores or when we pick up her sibs at school

Camber said...

Crazy ice storm! I love Hannah's haircut, love her crazy outfits, and I love the progress with the vegetables. We do a lot of shameless negotiations over here over vegetables, and I have no problem promising chips or treats after eating vegetables either.