Monday, July 31, 2017

Muggy in July

Girls CampπŸ•

I got to go to girls camp this year.  Being YW president you kind of have to.  I've now been to more girls camps as a leader than as a youth.  But this was my first "southern" girls camp.  What I mean by that is this was my first girls camp with hot, muggy, southern humid weather.  For the most part, it was nice.  Our cabins had AC (but we can't have the AC on during the day 😐).  I think that is a lame rule.  Usually with girls camp, I can rough it and shower in the middle of the week (I HATE the yucky, disgusting camp showers so I try and avoid those).  Ya.  Not here!  I had to shower every night because it was so muggy and hot.  In fact, EVERYONE showered daily here because of that.

Here's a pano of my cabin (I got there a day before the rest of my cabin arrived).  I strategically picked the bunk by the AC unit.  Ya.  I'm no dummy!

The girls in my cabin were so clean!  I loved them. πŸ’•   They swept every day and night, and put all of their clothes, gifts, food, junk, etc. away!  I've never had a cabin like this at camp.  We got the "golden plunger" award for the being the cleanest cabin.

A few of the YW from the Lorna branch made this banner for our cabin.  They hung it outside, but when it started to rain they brought it inside to keep it from getting ruined.

I came in one night after my shower and I found the girls like this.πŸ’πŸ˜Š

The first day of camp was on July 4th (ya...weird I know!).  One of my laurels brought over 250 sparklers for everyone.  It was fun.  Some of the sparklers were pretty cool too!  There were some that were red and green, so it looked like we were Harry Potter and Lord Voldemort dueling.

 Here are my girls during the Bishop time.  They LOVE him.

 The girls learned a few dances while at camp.

 One of my laurels turned 18 while at camp.  She's still around for one more year before she graduates from high school.  I have 4 laurels graduating this next year.  FOUR!  πŸ˜”

I even got to climb the ropes course and do the zip line.

Last day of camp.  We are tired.  We are dirty.  We are so grungy.  We want our real beds.

I knew that within 20 minutes of being in the car the girls would just crash!πŸ˜‚ 



Swimming🏊

One of the great things about a summer in Alabama is swimming.  It is SO NICE to go to the pool on a very hot and muggy day.  The pool is so refreshing and it feels so nice.

Hannah has grown gills this summer.  She swims a lot at a summer day camp (more on that below). Plus, she started swim lessons this month.  This girls LOVES to be in the water.



Another Lost Tooth

Hannah lost another tooth!  This would be her second one.



Organizing - home and workπŸ“‹

I got to do a little bit of organizing this month.

I organized Hannah's room a little more.  There is very limited space in an apartment, so I decided to maximize on the space behind her bedroom door.  Voila!

Same scenario with her bathroom too.  She has a very tiny bathroom, and there isn't much room to store all of her things.  But there is a lot of empty vertical space behind that door!

These over the door organizers are not just for shoes folks.  There are thousands of things you can do with these organizers.

I also got to clean and organize some more at work.  Things simmer down a little bit in the summer here, so I maximized that time to clean out some rooms that were pretty messy.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to take a before shot (I don't think it was possible for me to get my camera in there for a full pano picture).

Here is the end result. In case you were wondering what that big white thing is in the picture (off to the left side), it's a petticoat.  This room is used for the "Belles."  They keep all of their stuff in there, including their large petticoats and Southern Antebellum dresses.



Miscellaneous

Nathan treated Hannah to ice cream after they dropped me off for Girls Camp (she was really sad when I left).  Apparently she got over it quickly.

I mentioned Hannah was in a summer camp at the beginning of the blog.  She's been in it for half the summer now, and this kid LOVES it!  When we come and pick her up, she often times doesn't want to come home.😏

They had a "carnival" themed day, and when I picked her up she had her face painted.

It can get pretty hot here in the South.🌞  Muggy hot!  Nathan will often say "air conditioning is the 8th wonder of the world."

By the way, note the time on this screenshot: It's 5:30 in the EVENING, and it's still 105 degrees!πŸ”₯


And this is often what happens to Nathan on Sundays when we come home from church:

Nathan just crashes and takes a nap.  Hannah almost never does, but this time, she ended up falling asleep.  Guess that purple mask did the trick.

1 comment:

Rachel Culmer said...

LaMar said: "Thank you for all the great pictures. You must have more energy than
a dozen nuclear reactors. Your love for these girls is outstanding
and I'm sure they return that love. You are truly a blessing to them.
The three of you are a wonderful family. I love all of you. or is it
"I love y'all." PS I found a camping tip you might use when things are a little
cramped. If you use a busy public campground, a tuba placed on your
picnic table will often keep the campsites on either side vacant."