Thursday, January 14, 2010

Happy Birthday

Since Nathan has been SO busy studying for comprehensive exams, he wanted a quiet birthday this year. But I really wanted to surprise him and do something special for him.

So the preparations started the night before while Nathan was at church meetings. I went to the store and bought balloons, several birthday cards, and necessary ingredients for his favorite cookies and birthday dinner. When I got home, I baked the cookies (and hid them), did some dinner preparations, did the dishes, and hid the balloons.

Then came the big day! I got up early, hid the birthday cards around the house, and got the cookies and balloons out. Eventually, Nathan woke up and was VERY SURPRISED!

I had more surprises for Nathan when I came home from work. I told him that I was going to make fajitas for dinner and he was very excited! Fajitas are one of Nathan's favorite meals.

After dinner, we had a conference call with Nathan's family for about an hour. The longer you were on the phone, the more entertaining it became. Here is roughly how some of the conversation went (all at once):

Danny (brother): "How do you cook broccoli?"
Dad C (came on conference call a little late): "Hello."
Nathan: "Hi dad."
Mom C: "You cook broccoli by steaming it in a pan with a little water at a boil."

--a few minutes later--

Danny: "How many ounces are in 1 cup?
Rachel and Mom C: "8 ounces."

--another few minutes later--

Danny: "Are you sure there are 8 ounces in a cup?"
Mom C: "Yes!"

--another few minutes later--

Danny: "Hey...my rice is burning."
Nathan: "What is that noise in the background?"
Mom C: "That's dad's GPS."
Rachel: "Why is your rice burning?"

--a few minutes after that--

Danny: "Whoa! My rice is on fire!"
Dad C's GPS voice system (literally a few seconds after Danny says his rice is on fire): "Turn left here."
Mom C: "Danny, are you okay?"
Rachel: "What's on fire?"
Nathan: "I'm glad to hear that Danny's rice is on fire and that it needs to turn left."

I am not kidding...that is literally how the conversation was. Nathan and I were laughing so hard. This will be one conference call we will never forget.

After we talked with Nathan's family, we chatted with my parents for a while (mainly about USC's football situation, and California's 80 degree weather). So that is how Nathan's big day was. Happy Birthday sweetie! I hope you had a good and memorable one.

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

Sounds like a Cheney conference call to me. We have one every week and they can get pretty random and disconnected. You're such a sweet wife, I love how classy everything looks!

Bonnie said...

Happy Birthday to Nathan! I love the balloons!

Stephanie said...

Yum! Thumbprint cookies are the best. Good choice, Nathan. Happy birthday!!!

Dan said...

Happy 35th old man! Those few weeks between our birthdays really makes me feel younger than you. ;-) Loralyn's brother pointed out to me yesterday (he turned 35 on Jan. 16) that we're halfway to 70!

Paul & Ashley Justensen Family said...

Happy Birthday Nathan. I'm so glad Rachel made it a special day for you!