Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Let me tell ya 'bout the birds (not the bees)

As many of you are aware I love to bird watch. So when spring comes around in Iowa it is one of my favorite seasons because all the birds come out to play. But this year we have had more visitors than usual. There are times when I look out at my porch and this picture comes to mind:



Here are some of the visitors we have had this month.


We see several finches (these are Nathan's favorite birds to watch). The male finches are our favorites because they are SO BRIGHT!

We have a plethora of sparrows and a few chickadees stop by. There was one time I counted 13 sparrows on the bird feeder!

A few of the big birds that we have seen are doves and common grackles.

My favorite birds are the cardinals! I love to look at these birds because I never saw any growing up in California.

But the coolest birds that have come to our home are the red-bellied woodpecker and downy woodpecker.

Kronk's favorite creature that the bird feeders attract are actually not birds. He likes the chipmunks that come and stuff their face full of nuts.

With all of these creatures coming to our porch it keeps Kronk entertained pretty much all day long. There are many times throughout the week where you will hear a distinct 'thud' because he hits the window trying to go after the birds or chipmunk--but mainly the chipmunk. And when he is not running into the window he just sits right in front of it stalking anything that moves.


2 comments:

Tawnya said...

Those pictures are amazing!! I want to get a bird feeder now! And I LOVE that Kronk runs into the door...hilarious!

wendy said...

We love to watch birds too! Sparrows are so annoying! They always hog all our bird seed. Do you ever get nuthatches? Those are our favorite. These are great pictures Rachel- I can never get get a good picture of the birds that I actually want a picture of. The chipmunk is way cute.