The state of Iowa has had several visitors from Utah this past week.

On June 11th, Silvia H. Allred came to Des Moines for a stake Relief Society conference. Me and four other friends drove to Des Moines to hear her speak and it was wonderful! She encouraged us to be kind and friendly to all who come into the church--members and non-members. She also talked about the history of the church in Africa and how it just started with a few people reading the Book of Mormon, and how it changed their lives. And we got to meet her afterwards too. She is such a wonderful and spunky woman. I cannot believe she is a mother of 8! What an incredible woman.
And this weekend we had 5 general authorities come to the Iowa City Area! They were Elder Richard G. Scott, Elder Claudio R. Costa, Elder Randall K. Bennett, Elder Larry Y. Wilson, and Elder Reall (I don't have a picture for him).
They came and did a leadership training meeting with Stake Presidencies and Bishops from the surrounding area on Saturday. And one of the best parts is that I got to help serve the dinner for those brethren. It was an honor and privilege to do such a wonderful service for them.
Then on Sunday, our stake had Elder Wilson and Elder Costa speak at our meeting (Elders Scott, Bennett and Reall went up to the Cedar Rapids stake). It was so neat to hear their personal stories.
Elder Wilson attended Harvard with my current Bishop and his wife back in the day. What a small world! And Elder Costa--WOW! He shared stories about when he was a mission president in Manaus, and the wonderful dedication of the members there. Their nearest Temple used to be 7½ days away. DAYS!!! Four of those days were on a run down boat, and 3½ days on a run down bus. And I complain that Nauvoo is so far away. It made me realize how blessed I really am.
It was a great week and I am sad that it's over with.




1 comment:
What a neat experience! It reminds me of the stories I heard of the General Authorities staying with Grandmother and Graddaddy Wilkerson.
Post a Comment