Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Birthday Girl



This has been a happy and sad day for me.  Happy because I get to celebrate with Hannah her first birthday.  But I am also a little sad because I cannot believe one year has gone by and I feel like my baby isn't a baby anymore.

But as Nathan told me this morning, let us not mourn on this momentous day but celebrate it!  And that is just exactly what we did!

Hannah woke up around 7:30 am.  I got her up and did the usual morning routine (bottle, new diaper, change clothes, etc).  We decided to have her open her gifts before Nathan left for work because we knew that there would be no time this evening due to some church meetings that both Nathan and I had in the evening.

Hannah at first was only interested in the pajamas that I purchased her last night (no...they were not a birthday gift.  They were just a regular purchase because she is outgrowing her current pajamas).  She did however manage to show some interest in her other gifts.

I love her bed head hair.  So cute.



Kronk had fun opening gifts too.

Grandma and Grandpa Sorenson got Hannah a cute dress (I forgot to take a picture of it.  See video above), and Mom stuck with her family tradition of 3 crisp one dollar bills.

Great Grandma and Grandpa Sorenson gave Hannah a nice green present (I unwrapped this one because I did not want Hannah to rip this piece of paper to shreds - one of her favorite pastimes).

Nathan and I got Hannah an elephant toy that shoots out toy balls.  She liked the bag a little more at first.  The elephant scared her a few times when it started up, but she warmed up to it as the day went on.




After Nathan left for work I ate some breakfast, and then Hannah and I put on our coats (it was 11 degrees outside) and went to the grocery store to run a few errands.  Okay...one of the errands was to pick up her balloons.  But when we got back from the store I think she approved.  She stared at the balloons all day long.


When Nathan arrived home from work we sang Happy Birthday (Sorenson style) and gave Hannah her first experience with cake.  I say experience because she did not eat it.  She just played with the cupcake.  If given the choice between eating her food and wearing it, she would choose wearing it nine times out of ten.




The first cupcake eating started like this......


and it ended with this mess.

If the federal government wanted a foolproof way of destroying evidence, all they would have to do is hand it off to a bunch of babies and it would never be recognizable again.

After pulverizing the cupcake I put her in the bathtub, did her bed time routine and put her to bed while Nathan left for his stake meeting, and I prepared for my presidency meeting.

Hannah won't remember her first birthday, but we have fondly remembered her day of birth today.  Happy Birthday Hannah, we love you now more than ever.



5 comments:

Jared & Tristan said...

One year already?! Happy Birthday cute little Hannah!

Marci Wittwer Butterfield said...

Happy Birthday Hannah! Love the mutilation of the cupcake. well done.

Angela and Enrique said...

Happy Birthday Hannah! Cute pictures- she looks so grown up!

The Sheffield's said...

I can't believe that she is one already! Happy Birthday to sweet little Hannah.

Camber said...

NO WAY is she one already! I love the damage she did the to the cupcake!