Some of you may know that I have been taking a beginning sewing class since the end of January. Before this class I did not know one thing about sewing. Well actually, I did know a few things: Every time my Mom would pull out her sewing machine she would get frustrated because it would not function properly (not sure if it was an operator error or just the machine). Plus, she would get frustrated because it was such a pain in the neck to thread the needle too. Those were the only two things I knew about sewing.
These past few years I have had an increased desire to learn how to sew. I think it may have something to do with the other girls in my ward. They are incredibly talented and they all "seam" to be expert sewers (cheesy pun...I know). I couldn't learn to sew however because I had no machine. You know the equation: no machine = no sewing.
Well a few months ago I inherited a great machine from a friend for free, though it did need a $65 repair. Not a big problem however since machines usually cost over $100. With a free sewing machine and a beginning sewing class that the local community college offers I decided it was time to learn.
I have now been sewing for about 3 months now and I am really enjoying it. I was having so much fun in my class that I signed up for two more semesters of it. I just hope that I am still here in Iowa for the last semester.
Here are two of my finished projects so far.
The first project I did was VERY simple. I attached this yellow/gold colored fabric the bottom of this dress so that I could make it more modest. Again--I did not make the dress!
My second project was to make this dress for Hannah (don't look to closely at the seams. I'm a beginner so they are not very straight). Our class was assigned to pick a pattern out so that we could learn how to read them.
This dress was very difficult to make. I started this dress in February and I just finished it yesterday. Yes, that is correct--it took me 2 months to make this tiny little dress, and she will probably outgrow it in about 2 months. There is no way I could have made this on my own. I think from now on I'll stick to making clothes for me, and other things for Hannah that she won't quickly outgrow (like maybe a quiet book for church). The only reason I am glad I made this dress is because I learned a lot about reading/choosing patterns, gathering, zippers, elastic, hand stitching, etc.
Check out the little bloomers. They look like a polk-a-dot speedo. Unfortunately, they don't fit quite right. Oh well.
12 comments:
You may not have made the first dress, but you sure make it look good!
About the speedo-I have long felt that the company needed to embrace a wider variety of patterns in their clothing line. Perhaps this will inspire them to do so!
I love the dress!! Great Job... and really that is impressive. Hannah is ADORABLE!
Way to go Rachel! Hannah's dress is darling and what an accomplishment for your first project!
Ok, seriously sooo cute! I LOVE IT!! I can't believe your first-ish project had zippers and gathering. My first project was an elastic waist skirt. Doesn't get easier than that. So cute though! Way to go!
it turned out so cute Rachel! I'm glad you got it finished and at least it does fit her for a little bit. I want to take the class again but I'll be out of town for some of it:( I"m still thinking about it though.
Way to go Rachel! I am so impressed! Your first sewing project was no beginner project, you put a zipper in and everything! I can't wait to see Hannah in it at church!
That dress is ADORABLE!! You did a fantastic job!!! And I love all the colorful polka dots!
Wow Rachel!!! Those are lookin pretty awesome!!! Look like you bought them at Nordstrom or something, don’t look handmade at all!!! =) Grats on your new skills!! Hannah’s gotten so big! What a cutie.
Katherine
Very nice, Rachel! The dress looks very good on you, and I like the color of the trim. Clinton and Stacey of "What Not to Wear" would agree! Now, you need a spectacular handbag, and shoes that pop! Breta
No wonder it was so hard...it was a hard project...small, lots of gathering with sleeves and curvey lines and zippers. The rest of us probably started with pot holders!
Post a Comment