Monday, May 19, 2014

Valley Forge and Gettysburg -- May 10, 2014

We had an interesting night in the hotel on May 9th.  I was feeling so congested in my nasal cavity and also in my chest that I hardly slept -- not kidding.  Plus, Hannah woke up around 3:30 am.  She laid in my bed for a while, but ended up throwing up around 4:15 am.  It wasn't too bad seeing that there wasn't much in her stomach by this time, but it was still not a great experience.  Nathan got her all bathed while I cleaned up the sheets and bed.  Glad I packed extra PJ's and blankets.  I always come prepared!

I was so worried that we woke up my parents who were sleeping in the next room, but they were so dead tired they didn't hear any of the commotion.  Phew! Hannah, Nathan, and I finally fell back asleep around 5:30 am and managed to get a few more hours of sleep.  It did us a world of good.

After we got up and ready for the day, we went downstairs to an AWESOME continental breakfast. It was amazing: eggs, bacon, french toast, omelets made to order, fruit, orange juice, cereal, yogurt, granola, etc. You name it, they had it.  After breakfast we went back up to our room to get all our stuff, and Hannah finished getting dressed for the day with all her jewelry that Grandma gave her the night before.

After getting loaded in the car and headed off to Valley Forge.


This was the site of the military camp under George Washington of the Continental Army during the winter of 1777-1778 at the time of the American Revolutionary war.  Valley Forge is very large.  There are acres and acres of land, and it is (currently) very green.  I'm glad we did the driving tour.  If we did the on-foot tour it would have taken us all day to only cover a fraction of the national park.

When we finished with Valley Forge, we got in the car and drove 2 hours to go to Gettysburg.  Hannah slept pretty much the whole time, which was nice.  She was so tired (we all were).  Gettysburg is famous for a few reasons: this is where the famous battle took place that was the turning point for the Union in the Civil War.  It was the bloodiest battle with 51,000 casualties.  Another reason why Gettysburg is famous is because this is where President Lincoln gave his famous "Gettysburg address."

After Gettysburg, we got back in the card to head home (another 2 hour drive).  We stopped and grabbed some food at Subway and Wendy's and ate in the car.  When we got to Harrisburg, Hannah fully threw up in the car.  It was gross, smelly, and not a pleasant experience.  I think she was just so exhausted from the last two days, and a little car sick as we were making lots of twisty turns on the highway.  My parents were awesome troopers and helped us get Hannah all cleaned up.  I noticed they had a few smiles on their faces during the incident.  There were plenty of times I threw up in their cars on road trips.  I guess what goes around comes around.

We finally got home around 10:45 pm that night.  Nathan quickly bathed Hannah and put her to bed while I cleaned up her clothes and car seat cover for the washing machine.  It didn't take much longer for the rest of us to go to bed as well.  We were all SUPER exhausted.  It was a busy and fun day (except Hannah vomiting. That was not fun).

1 comment:

Rachel Culmer said...

Gettysburg is one of my favorite places. Going there and knowing what sacrifices were made on both sides is humbling. Valley Forge is a place that I've never been, but I would guess you would feel the same knowing those patriots' sacrifices. LaMar said: "We used to go to Mount Vernon when we live in Virginia. You can feel a reverence there almost like being in a Temple. I really love George Washington; read a couple of books about him last year and I had a copy of his prayer book prayers that both he wrote and some he just copied. It was fantastic. He was truly a man of great faith in the Savior. I'm glad you had such a good time width your mom and dad. I'm sure they enjoyed it too. Hope Hannah got better fast. Thank you for the pictures. I love you all."