Saturday, September 19, 2009

Mom's Visit Part III

Since we live so close to Nauvoo my mom really wanted to spend some time there. So, we took 3 days and did LOTS of things!

Day #1:
My mom wanted to stop and see Fort Madison so we did.
After Fort Maddy...we went to the Lands and Records Office. This place is a gold mine for genealogy! We were able to gather information regarding property that some of our ancestors owned/rented. So we set off and do some house hunting. We drove all around and looked for the plots where some of our ancestors lived. It was a really neat experience and I'm glad I got to share it with my mom. Here is a picture of me standing in front of a replica of one of our ancestors homes.
After house hunting we stopped at the Old Nauvoo Burial Grounds. This is a hidden cemetery in a grove of trees and it is a very sacred and quiet. Most of the stone markers are unidentifiable which makes it that much more of a treasure.
Day #2: We went and did a tour with the Community of Christ so that we could see the Smith Family Homestead, the Smith Family Cemetery, and the Red Brick Store. After the tours I took my mom to go see many of the homes that the Church has restored.
Then...we went to the Temple. This was my mom's favorite part. The last time she was in Navuoo was when she was a little girl and there was no Temple. Her reaction: priceless.
Day #3: We headed to Carthage.
My mom was really looking forward to this because their is a painting hanging in the visitors center that is very significant to our family. My mom's father posed for this painting. He is the man standing behind Joseph with his arms folded.
Carthage is always a very touching and sacred place and you can't help but feel a deep love for Joseph and Hyrum Smith.
After Carthage we headed back to Iowa (which I'll post more about later).

5 comments:

Amy said...

I'm so jealous and yet glad you were able to do all that stuff! How special you were able to share it with your mom. That is a memory that you will cherish forever!

Jared & Tristan said...

What a great time! And how cool to see the painting that your grandpa posed for!

Jill Walker said...

Such a great place! I am ready to go back! The next time I will make sure we see you.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I am sure you will always sweetly remember the time you spent with your Mother.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I love visiting Nauvoo. When Phillip and I went a few years ago, that little cemetery was one of our favorite parts.