Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Personal Progress holder -- a quick sew

Just after I received my call to serve in the Young Women's presidency in our ward, I found a tutorial for a Personal Progress book holder on Pinterest several months ago.  I pinned it because I thought it was a really cute and clever way to carry your Personal Progress book, the For Strength of Youth pamphlet, and your Personal Progress journal (except I don't use that journal because I have my personal private blog, so I put the True to the Faith book in there seeing that we are going to be referring to it much more with the new curriculum).

Well tonight I finally sat down and made one -- with scrap materials!  I followed this pattern at the beginning, but as I was coming close to finishing the PP book holder, I unpicked the whole thing and started over.  I ended up following a pattern that I have used to make several crayon rolls these past few months for some friends, and it turned out much better.

Viola!

**In case you want to make one yourself, I found that the measurements on the first pattern for dividing the books were great.  I did not like the height of the holder so I chopped it by a few inches.  The first pattern suggests that you sew the pocket book on top of the already sewn backing.  I did not like that idea because you would see the lines on the back of the book holder, and also because it requires more work as you have to fold the edges of the pocket under and then sew it on to the backing.  I just seemed silly so I unpicked it and followed the crayon roll tutorial on putting the book together.**

1 comment:

Rachel Culmer said...

Mom said: "Looks very nice, Rachel! I am sure it will serve you well this next year, and I can see an activity night coming with the girls all making one, and thus, passing off one of their goals for personal progress!"