I never was a big reader as a child. But after Hannah was born I seemed to enjoy reading much more now than I used to when I was younger. Perhaps it was because I had a newborn child just as winter was beginning, and also because I was nursing a newborn every 2-3 hours and it was easy to feed her while reading a book. Whatever it was, I started to enjoy the journey of reading books.
This year I set a goal to read 7 books. My original plan was to just try and read all seven of the Jane Austen novels, which I did. I realized that towards the end of February I was averaging a book a month so I altered my goal to read 12 books in the year 2012.
Well today I finished my book for December, and it turns out that I ended up reading 17 books this year. Crazy! I still do not really know how I did it, but somehow it happened. Some of the books I read were classic novels, some were family history books, others were church books that I read for my scripture study. Needless to say I enjoyed them all and I have now started a habit of trying to read a book a month. I find it is a nice escape for me, and it is much more wholesome entertainment then many of the TV shows out there.
All of my goals for 2012 are now accomplished! Wahoo!
Book picture courtesy of freeclipartnow.com

2 comments:
Way to go! I'm glad my local book group keeps me reading a book a month. I really enjoy reading, but life is so busy that I'm not sure I'd make time for reading without the group to give me a deadline.
Come to think of it, I've started reading about a book a month with Joy, and that's been fun. We just finished the "Little House on the Prairie" series, and we're starting "The Chronicles of Narnia." Joy and I really enjoy reading together. I wonder what you and Hannah will read together in the coming years.
I made that goal recently. Unfortunately doesn't happen for me yet. I always feel guilty for not studying.
Would be interest to see your list of books if you have any recommendations...for when I do start reading more.
Post a Comment