Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The LONGEST day of the year


The 21st of June is supposed to be the longest day of the year due to the summer solstice. For me, yesterday was a longer day for other reasons. Here is how my day went:


6:00 am--woke up to go to the bathroom, and head back into bed to lay down for another 45 minutes before I have to get ready for work.

6:15 am--I notice that I am feeling REALLY nauseated. I head to the bathroom and ended up vomiting. I think to myself "hmm...I haven't thrown up like that in the morning since I was about 6 weeks along in my pregnancy. I have a feeling this is going to be a bad day."

7:00 am--I vomit again.

7:55 am--I vomit for the 3rd time within 2 hours. This is not a good sign. It's time to call the doctors office!

8:00 am--call my OBGYN. I talk to a nice man and explain to him what has just happened. He takes down my name and phone number and said he would pass the information on to my doctors nurse and that she will call me back.

8:20 am--vomit for the 4th time.

9:02 am--vomit for the 5th time.

9:05 am--Nathan decides to call the doctors office again since no one has called us back. He was told that the nurse was on the phone with another call, but that she would call us as soon as she got off the line.

9:42 am--vomit for the 6th time. Something is seriously wrong! I ask Nathan for a priesthood blessing and he administers to me. Still waiting for a phone call from the nurse.

10:15 am--I somehow manage to take an hour and fifteen minute nap.

11:45 am--Nathan calls the doctors office for the 3rd time. I finally talk to my doctors nurse. She asks me lots of questions and comes to the conclusion that I most likely have a flu bug. She encourages me to try and drink some fluids and see if I can keep them down, and says that she'll call and check in on me in a few hours.

12:00 noon--I vomit for the 7th time. Afterwards, I try and slowly sip on some sprite hoping that it stays down.

1:06 pm--vomit for the 8th time. Sprite is not saying down! This is really not a good sign.

2:03 pm--I vomit again making it now a total of 9times! I really hope my doctors nurse calls soon!

3:12 pm--I vomit for the 10th time.

3:15 pm--Nathan calls the doctors office and we talk with the nurse. She said that my doctor is sending a prescription over to the pharmacy and hopes that this medicine will help me reduce the nausea. *Note: the prescription cannot be taken orally since I can't keep anything down!*

3:25 pm--Nathan heads to the pharmacy (thanks honey...you're the best!).

3:52 pm--I vomit for the 11th time as Nathan returns back from the pharmacy.

4:00 pm--take the prescription medicine and hope that it works!

4:38 pm--I vomit for the 12th time. I don't think the prescription is working, but maybe it needs some more time.

5: 37 pm--I vomit for the 13th time.

6:14 pm--I vomit again making it now a total of 14 times! If I go once more...we are calling the hospital!

6:49 pm--sure enough, I vomit for the 15th time! Nathan calls the after hours number for the OBGYN clinic and he talks to several people. They told us to get in ASAP so that I can get hooked up on some fluids!

7:00 pm--leave our house and head to the hospital...FINALLY!

7:26 pm--stroll into labor and delivery in a wheel chair and they show me to my room. This is not how I pictured my first trip to labor and delivery.

7:32 pm--vomit again for the 16th time in a 13 hour period! It came to an average that I was vomiting every 40-50 minutes--NOT FUN!

7:45 pm--I get hooked up to an IV to help get me hydrated. They also give me some medicine to help reduce my nausea. They check my urine, heart rate, pulse, blood pressure, and check to see if they can hear a heart beat for the baby. After moving all around my lower abdomen, we finally hear a heart beat...PHEW! Huge sigh of relief!

8:45 pm--I'm feeling better, and I don't feel like I have to vomit again! YEAH!

10:15 pm--I am SO THIRSTY! My nurse brings me some water with lots of ice in it--HEAVEN! I slowly take sips as I don't want to push myself. WOW...water has never tasted so good.

11:00 pm--they check my urine again to see if I'm hydrated enough. The urine didn't look so great so they gave me some more IV fluids.

11:45 pm--they give me some apple juice to see if I can keep that down. I slowly sip on that...so far so good.

12:45 am--they give me some saltine crackers (which tasted like cardboard by the way). I slowly nibble on them and hope that they stay down.

1:15 am--crackers stayed down! Man...I am so tired and exhausted.

1:50 am--I give the nurse another urine sample. It looks great and I'm hydrated.

2:20 am--after filling me with about 2,550 milliliters of fluids (about two-thirds of a gallon) they unhook my IV, and I am officially discharged. We leave labor and delivery hoping we never have to go back until December.

2:28 am--Nathan and I get in the car and head home.

2:45 am--we walk into our house. I take a sleeping pill, use the restroom, brush my teeth, put in my retainer, get dressed for bed, and say prayers.

2: 53 am--lights out...I am EXHAUSTED!


It was ONE LONG DAY that I hope I NEVER have to repeat. It was so tiring and exhausting. I could not have gotten through all by myself. Nathan was so helpful and kind. I know it was hard on him too and he stuck it out like a trooper. Thanks so much for your help honey!

13 comments:

Being Breta said...

I am so sorry you had to go through that! Hopefully, this will be the last of the "sickness". Glad you are home & doing well!

Sarah said...

Everyone always tells you about morning sickness, but no one ever tells you that you are WAY more susceptible to get the stomach flu! I got the Flu twice with each of my pregnancies! (Luckily, none quite as bad as yours.) The thing that really stinks is that recovery is always slower since your body completely prioritizes the baby. Happy recovery! Feel better soon!

Rachel said...

oh my gosh. I am so sorry. I thought I was having a bad day and I dont feel so bad now.

Kellie and Brian said...

Holy Stinkin crap you're pregnant! Wahoo! (sorry, haven't checked the blog in a while). I'm so incredibly happy for you and so incredibly sorry that you've been so sick. (I've got leftover anti-nausea drugs from my pregnancy - I can totally hook you up if needed next time! Congrats!

Tawnya said...

Wow, that sounds so terrible! I can't imagine throwing up that much! Bet you got nice abs! :)

Chelsea said...

uhh, I thought I had a bad day. Hope you're feeling better!

Bonnie said...

Wow Rachel, I am so sorry !! I remember having the stomach flu when I was pregnant with Karrie and it was horrible! I am so glad that you are doing better!! Love you!!

Paul & Ashley Justensen Family said...

That sounds miserable. There is nothing worse than being sick WHILE being pregnant. Uh! I hope you feel better soon. No more trips to the hospital!

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better.

Heidi Miller said...

Ugh. So terrible. I can't even stand throwing up once in a day. You poor thing.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were pregnant. CONGRATULATIONS!! I am sorry you had to suffer like that. I go through great anxiety when I get the stomach flu because I can't stop vomiting on my own. I almost always end up in the ER for IV medication and fluids. I know the feeling and it is MISERABLE! I am happy you are feeling better.

Katie Schultz said...

Yuck! I hate throwing up and when you have to worry about a little baby getting their nutrients it can be so nerve racking. You did the right thing to be so persistent and proactive. Congratulations!

Jennifer said...

Few days will be as long as this day...glad you're feeling better!