Saturday, November 27, 2010

A visit by the fire department


Our Black Friday was a very interesting day.

Last night I went to bed around 7:30 pm because I was so exhausted from the days events: getting up at 3:00 am to go shopping on Black Friday, putting up Christmas decorations, and getting dinner ready for the missionaries.

About 9:00 pm Nathan came in and said "How are you feeling?" Thinking that was an odd question, I told him I feel fine and asked him what was wrong (am I in labor and just didn't know it). He told me that our carbon monoxide alarm did some weird beeping noises and went off. SCARY!!!

So Nathan called the fire department to check in and see what needed to happen next. The man told Nathan that they would be at our house shortly. Sure enough within 10 minutes the fire truck was parked outside our place and 3 firemen came in our house. They brought in their carbon monoxide detectors and were not getting any readings (sigh). After some discussion and inspection of our detector it was determined that it must have been a glitch, and encouraged us to look at replacing the detector.

The firemen informed us that there will be another man coming out from Mid-American energy to inspect our home (apparently they have carbon monoxide detectors that are more sensitive than the fire department's). Sure enough within a few minutes here came the Mid-American energy man. He came in our home and his detector looked exactly like a ghost trap from Ghostbusters. Nathan wanted to ask the man "do you have any ghosts in there Egon?"

Well he didn't have any ghosts, and he didn't get any carbon monoxide readings with his detector. Agreeing with the firemen, the man said it must have been a glitch and encouraged us to look at replacing the detector.

So the man went on his way, and I went back to bed. Crazy day!

3 comments:

Tawnya said...

Wow that sounds very scary. Glad you had it checked out! That could have been bad.

Bonnie said...

Scary!

Unknown said...

I'm glad it was a false alarm!