Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Hannah's Story--by Dad

When Rachel woke up yesterday, she started feeling contractions and began tracking them. By about 7 pm they had progressed and intensified enough that we called the hospital and let them know what was going on. By 9 pm, contractions were intense and every 2-3 minutes. We hurried in.

Here we are just before we left for the hospital.


When we got there, Rachel needed to wait a little longer, so they had us do so. Rachel wasn't the most comfortable, but she bore it well. What she really wanted was an epidural. A few hours and another room later, she was ready for it.

Here she was when she got the news.


At about this same time, Rachel was dilating quickly and the new room we were in transformed like an Autobot confronting a Decepticon. Some of the gadgets that came to the fore were pretty cool.

Here are some of the cooler gadgets and funnier items of notice:



Left to Right: Welcome board, the contraction/baby pulse/mommy pulse tracker, and the (small) fry warmer.

Upon entering the world, Hannah immediately began to express her discontent with her arrival in such an unwelcoming place.

She expressed outrage,

boredom,

and contempt,

(Yes that is poop--her first poop as a matter of fact, but what else can you really do to express contempt when you're less than two hours old?)

While the service in this newer establishment was not up to her discerning tastes, she was persuaded to stay once she had the opportunity to eat and warm up in peace. Once this occurred, she calmed right down and rested. She has been a good child so far and has had quite a day. So far, she has:
  • Charmed her parents without even trying
  • Had several meals (She wasted no time on this one. It was like a barnacle to a whale--she knew what she wanted and how to get it.)
  • Pooped a lot (dad being the primary target)
  • Had her first diaper changes
  • Had her first bath
  • Slept a lot
  • Learned that she likes to be swaddled and warm
  • Been a real sweetheart and a very good baby
  • Told us when she was hungry or cold
  • Sucked her pacifier, thumb, finger, side of her hand, and the nurses finger
  • Entertained multiple guests
Here are some more shots we took today for your perusal and for the sake of embarrassing her when she brings home that first date in approximately 16 years.

Rachel, Hannah and Hannah's first nurse, Laura (who
was wonderful, by the way) holding her first footprint.


Hannah with her first pediatrician:


Hannah resting in Mom's arms while the two of them
enjoy a little quiet time together (Rachel was a real trooper, by the way):


Hannah and Dad exploring the new, although temporary digs.

Rachel reading while Hannah had one of her meals, or as we like to call it: The Feed n' Read

Dinner.


The happy family.


The happy family 70's style.

Funny story. Because the hospital will provide food for mothers, but not fathers, I called a good friend of mine who knew my favorite Chinese restaurant in the area and he was kind enough to bring me something so that I could have dinner as well (thanks Dan!). He also happened to bring a couple fortune cookies for us. When I opened and ate my fortune cookie (I kid you not), this is what it said:


All in all, it has been an exhausting, but wonderful day. In the quiet moments, I have reflected on the wonder and surreality of it all and felt a great love in my heart. I could not ask for a better fortune than the one given me at random from a Chinese restaurant. I look forward to the journey. Welcome to the world, Hannah. I love you.



17 comments:

Dale said...

How absolutely wonderful! Congrats to all, and good job mom! Such a beautiful little girl. I know you guys will be awesome parents. We can't wait to visit and say hello.

Love,
Dale

Katie said...

Wow!!! Congrats. Hannah is so beautiful. I'm glad that she's healthy and enjoying her new digs. Thanks for sharing your story.

Dave and Abby said...

That is an amazing story. Congrats! Hannah is absolutely beautiful, and I couldn't imagine a better way to enter the world than with you two and parents.

Rachel said...

I love it! So happy to see all the pics! she looks great! You guys look so happy! And Nathan, poops not so bad. When the Dr.'s cut the cord, the blood literally SQUIRT all over Derek. That shirt was never the same.
Let us know if you need anything. We're not coming anywhere close since Eamon has been getting over a cold but we will arrange a clean person to bring you anything you need.

Stephanie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! She's beautiful. All our love - you guys will be the best parents!!

Channa said...

Beautiful baby and one lucky family. Congratulations! We are thrilled for you.

Tawnya said...

Oh congratulations!! I am so happy for you! She is just beautiful!

Marci Wittwer Butterfield said...

I love everything about this post!! So excited for you all and for this new little one. Can't wait to see her in person.

Bonnie said...

Oh she is a beautiful little baby girl! I am so happy for both of you! I am so happy that everything went well! Good job on the post, Nathan! By the way, I love the name Hannah! Love to you both!!

Jared & Tristan said...

Congratulations you two... or I should say THREE!!! How exciting! Glad to see that everyone is healthy and doing well!!!

Anonymous said...

Adorable baby!! Congratulations!! What a cheap hospital to not provide the Dad a meal. The hospitals would bring a meal for Dad when they brought one for my Mom since he was always there. I am glad everything went well.

Teed Family said...

Congratulations! Hannah is beautiful.... Love the name ;) You guys are going to be great parents! Take care and sleep when you can :)

Kaye and Mike said...

Congratulations! Wash she born on the 7th? That is my son Christopher's birthday. She is a beautiful baby! I'm so happy for you both.

The Sheffield's said...

Congratulations Culmer family! She is so big, or at least she looks like she is big. We loved the story of her birth and what life she has lived so far.

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

Congratulations! So glad she is here and that everyone is doing well. She is a beauty! Enjoy the newborn stage - they get so big so fast!

Katie Schultz said...

She is darling. Congrats you guys are amazing people. Hannah is one lucky lady.

Mary Ann said...

Congratulations Rachel and Nate! She is so adorable! I am so happy and excited for you three!