Monday, July 25, 2011

Shooting and a trip to the ER

July 11, 2011

A few of us headed east of Utah Lake to do some shooting.

It was a very clear day and you could see BYU campus across Utah Lake.


I've been shooting several times before with my Uncle Mike but it has been a really long time so I wanted to be briefed on safety procedures again.  Here is a picture of Nathan reviewing gun safety with me.  Josh also was having his first crash course on gun safety too.


Here I am watching Josh get ready to shoot a gun with his dad.  Can you tell I'm a little nervous?  Guns make me nervous.


Here are the brothers shooting at their targets.  They used to go shooting a lot as kids so they are more comfortable with guns than I am.



I do not like to shoot the big rifles because they kick back so much that I get bruised and sore.  So I just decided to shoot the pistol and that was more than enough for me.  I am a horrible shooter and hardly hit what I'm aiming for.



I love this shot.  Look at Josh's eyes.  He is either getting ready to shoot the gun and bracing for the reaction, or he just shot the gun and blinked his eyes.  So cute.



A proud father and son picture.



Everyone liked shooting the pistol gun.


And what would shooting be without some clay pigeons or soda cans that have been shaken up for an exploding effect?


Can you tell that these boys mean business when they shoot?  Just look at their focused and determined faces.


 Now the rifle that is pictured below wanted to pick a fight with Nathan.  He was shooting on the ground and he had his forehead just a little too close to the scope.  When he shot the rifle it recoiled and the scope hit him in the forehead making a gash deep enough to warrant stitches.


When we got back from shooting Nathan and I headed to the ER so that he could get stitches.  I know...what a great way to spend our FHE together.  For those of you who don't know Nathan HATES needles.  He absolutely loathes them.  So when the nurse had to give Nathan a shot to numb the area all Nathan could say was "I am such a wimp!  I'm such a wimp!"  It was funny.  Five stitches and a few hours later we headed back home for everyone to look at the battle scars.

3 comments:

sixlakes said...

WOW! Nathan, I am so sorry. It has been fun following your trip. We hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation. ~ Carter & Stacie

nathan n rachel said...

Thanks Stacie. Good to hear from you. Nathan

Tawnya said...

I love shooting! But, yikes nathan...that looks like it hurt!