Friday, July 1, 2011

The Holy Bible

In December of 2009, the year was coming to an end and I started to make a few goals for the upcoming 2010 year. As I was deciding on what to do I came to the realization that I have never read the Bible cover to cover. I read and studied passages or stories from it, but I have never actually sat down and read it from the beginning to end. Now I was determined. So I set a HUGE goal: I wanted to read the Bible from cover to cover. I realized that to read the Old Testament and New Testament in one year would be a pretty daunting task and so I decided to read the Old Testament in 2010, and the New Testament in 2011.

You may recall last year I accomplished my goal in reading the Old Testament. I am happy to report that I finished reading the New Testament TODAY!, which means that I have finished my ultimate goal of reading the ENTIRE Bible! And what makes me smile even more--is that I beat Nathan. :)

One may ask what my feelings are on completing such a task. First and foremost I feel a great sense of accomplishment. I also feel like I have a better knowledge and understanding of the gospel. I have always known that the Bible is the word of God as far as it is translated correctly, but now I feel like I REALLY KNOW. I feel closer to my Savior. My favorite part of reading the New Testament was reading the Gospels because it contained the life and ministry of Jesus Christ. I am also grateful for John Wycliff, William Tyndale, Johannes Gutenberg, and others who pioneered the translation of these biblical writings, and that they were willing to sacrifice their time, and in some instances their lives, to bringing to pass this great book.

I was visiting lds.org the other day, and I saw this video commemorating the 400th anniversary of the King James Bible.

I believe Elder Jeffrey R. Holland says it best: "We love and revere the Bible. It was a divinely ordained encounter with the fifth verse of the first chapter of the book of James that led Joseph Smith to his vision of the Father and the Son, which gave birth to the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ in our time."

If you believe the Bible, you will come to know that the Book of Mormon is true. Of this I promise, and testify.

2 comments:

nathan n rachel said...

Congratulations Honey! I'm really proud of you. I guess you beat me, but that's okay, I think I might still be able to beat you in an arm wrestle ;).

Tawnya said...

Wow Rachel! What a great accomplishment! That is so awesome!!!!