Monday, July 6, 2009

Adam-ondi-Ahman

Our second stop on our way back up to Iowa was Adam-ondi-Ahman. Adam-ondi-Ahman is another church history site in which Joseph Smith spent time exploring and surveying for an intended city. It is particularly interesting because the Prophet Joseph received revelations that this was a place where Adam once dwelt (for more info, see D&C 107:53-57 or D&C 116:1). It is a beautiful place that has been kept so by a dedicated band of couple missionaries whose responsibility is to keep it beautiful. We enjoyed a nice visit with one or two of these individuals and learned a lot about the area.
The valley of Adam-ondi-Ahman. The farmers have planted corn and soybeans for this year. Next year it will be wheat (at least that's what we were told).

One of the missionaries we talked to recommended that we should try and come back in the fall. I bet the valley and trees are just gorgeous with the color changes in the leaves.

Here is Nathan sitting a very large rock.

My dad loves church history. So while I was walking around I pulled out my cell phone and called him. Here is how the conversation went:

Nile: "Hey Rachel." Rachel: "Hey Dad."
Nile: "So...are you on your lunch hour?"
Rachel: "Uh...no. I'm actually not working today. You'll never guess where I am."
Nile: "Well...where are you?" Rachel: "Adam-ondi-Ahman."
Nile: "Oh (with a little chuckle). What are you doing there?"
Rachel: "We took a quick get-a-way trip to see some church history sites." Nile: "Well...make sure you pick up a good sized rock. Who knows...it might be a rock that Adam once used when he made an altar."

Well...I picked up 2 rocks. One for me, and one to mail my dad. I thought it was funny.


That finishes our Missouri trip. I guess I should start blogging the 4th of July now.

1 comment:

Kaye and Mike said...

I went there once when I was 12 years old. Very good experience! I'm glad you were able to tour some church history sites and get a rock for your Dad!