Saturday, July 18, 2009

Some of My Favorite Things

Rachel here (as usual). I don't know why, but I LOVE animals. I often wonder why I didn't pursue Zoology for a degree. I think my dream career would be to work with wild animals on a daily basis (preferably big cats). Who knows, maybe I'll go back to school and pursue that dream.
Anyways, I was feeling a little down this morning and was watching the birds outside my sliding window and couldn't help but enjoy their beauty and grace. I also got some good laughs out of my cat, Kronk, who no doubt, was not admiring the birds the same way I was.

As I sat there watching these yellow finches feed, I kept having this little voice saying "Rachel, go for a walk...and take your camera." After a couple of nudges I finally decided to follow the promptings. So I grabbed the camera, snuck out of the house trying not to wake Nathan who was still sleeping, and went on a nature walk. I decided to walk down to these two ponds that our association has and go do some more bird watching. Not only are there tons of chirping birds hanging around the ponds, but there are usually a couple dozen ducks that linger around. And sure enough, there were the ducks just waiting for me.

My favorite part of my walk was when I noticed a female duck with her seven little ducklings. It was so touching to see how they moved and how protective the mother duck was of her little ones. I sat there for about ten minutes watching nature at it's best and felt a warm, calming feeling. No doubt it was the spirit confirming to me that Heavenly Father did indeed create this earth, and that he has a plan for everyone living here...including me.
Ironically enough, when the mother duck and her ducklings were far enough away, my camera battery died. The Lord works in mysterious ways don't you think? So the moral of the story: Follow the promptings of the spirit.

2 comments:

Katie said...

What a cool story. Thanks for sharing and for the beautiful pictures.

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

He knows us well, doesn't He? :)